Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups butternut squash cut in one inch cubes
- 2 cups carrots chopped small
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp sambal olek (chili paste)
- 2 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- fresh cilantro
Saute squash, carrots, onions and red pepper in olive oil until vegetables start to soften.
Add crushed garlic, cumin and turmeric and cook on low heat, one or two minutes more.
Add broth (or water) and sambal and simmer until vegetables are very soft.
Puree soup with the appliance of your choice.
Add more liquid if you like it thinner and/or more sambal, or other ‘heat’ of your choice, if you like heat.
Serve with chopped cilantro.
Makes about 6 cups