My, how things can change in a short time. So many things we’ve taken for granted have vanished in the blink of an eye. Perhaps the Corona virus holds an important lesson that we should take nothing for granted! Though it might feel like our current state of affairs will last forever, it won’t. Nothing is permanent.
While you might be busy putting out fires please take time to look after yourself too. It is very helpful to be your best self during difficult times, for yourself and also for those around you. As checking into a spa for ten days is not an option, know that all the small steps you can take at home add up. Even a few deep breaths can make a difference when you need them.
Are you overwhelmed and having difficulty focusing? You might be drawing a blank about just what to do. There’s a reason for that. Blood actually leaves your brain under stress to prepare your limbs for fight or flight. Oxygen isn’t flowing like it should. So here’s a list of ideas to choose from. I’ve made it easy by providing some links.
- Practice deep breathing. Here’s how.
- Get lots of sleep.
- Go for a run or walk, outside preferably, but use the mall to walk if necessary.
- Use any exercise equipment you have at home to be active, or use videos online. There’s a huge selection here. Work at your own level.
- Meditate. Try the guided meditation here.
- Read that book, finally.
- Eat lots of vegetables and fruit.
- Drink lots of water.
- Look for inspiring messages, humor, or evidence of good in the world.
- Start and end your day with a list of what you’re grateful for.
- Reconnect with a hobby or a favorite thing you might have let go, like reading, music, art, or crafts.
- Do Donna Eden’s Daily Energy routine – daily. It’s better than coffee.
- Try EFT/tapping. (just ask)
- Contact your Employee and Family Assistance Program for support, if your employer provides it.
- Hire the professional support you most need that is still available. (I am still available. 50% off until April 20th)
- Revisit travel photos and other happy memories.
- Cuddle the people and pets living with you.
- Choose Planet Earth videos and concerts over violent flics or the news.
- Take a drive in the country.
Even with isolation and social distancing, have you noticed you’re never really alone?